St. Matthews Night Shelter For Men
Saint Matthew’s is an offsite night shelter for men operated by the Community Kitchen. Residents must be referred to the shelter by a program. The shelter is open seven days a week, 365 days a year from 5:30pm to 6:30am. Staff Coordinators open the shelter and are on call during the night, but rely on volunteers to spend the night.
- Individuals to act as Overnight Hosts – Volunteer to arrive by 5:30pm and stay overnight with shelter residents. Hosts are committed from 5:30pm to 6:30 am the following morning
- Staff Coordinator will discuss rules of shelter and any pertinent information pertaining to residents
- Volunteer is responsible for monitoring residents and ensuring that residents abide by the rules discussed with Staff Coordinator
- Volunteer ensures that clients are up in time to leave the shelter by 6:30AM
- Individuals and Groups to provide home cooked meals
- Individuals and Groups to arrange recreational and educational activities for the residents (such as field trips to the Zoo, Art Museum, Symphony, etc.) subject to approval of Case Manager
- Men to come and fellowship with the residents
- Linens and Bedding (towels, sheets, pillows, etc.)
- Foods (perishable and non-perishable)
- Toilet paper, paper towels, etc.
- Light bulbs
- Cleaners (laundry detergent, disinfectants, etc.)